It’s on. Going to Duarte in mid April. Preliminary tests start after another round of chemo.
Dad and I went down there Tuesday (on 24 hours notice) and cruised San Dimas near the reservoir for trailer parking, Duarte for restaurants and the area of Azusa and Baldwin park for best routes to and from the hospital. Smog. Five lane highways. Somewhat hazy hills just four miles north. Gravel pits. LA river or some such canal. No worries, I’ll be focused mostly on four walls.
We left at 3:30 am from SLO, beat traffic, caught a breakfast slam, first in line at reception. Quick blood test. Long wait for Dr. Chen. Little if any new information. Approval to start preliminary tests.
- Move down there mid april. Parents bring their fifth wheel trailer.
- Week of prep and poison.
- Infusion of baby cells.
- 3 or 4 weeks in the hospital bubble.
- 3 months in a cottage on the City of Hope 70 acre campus. Avoiding infections.
- Then I have a new immune system, maybe a new blood type. Ideally no tumors.
I’m not excited, though this has been the Next Goal for several months. It’s hard to consider being away from home and friends for four months. And it won’t be exactly ‘pleasant’ in the process. The agony of not being at work has long since faded into the comfort of no work stress and now the novelty of time off is pretty shot. I don’t fear roll of the dice for an 80% survival rate on the process. I’m going in at a good weight. The odds of a cure are about 50/50 and the law of averages is in my favor after missing the targets the last few years. Plus, I kick ass. So there.